Oil Painting with Bodil Eide and Paulo Borges
Upcoming dates: 20 May 2017 – 26 May 2017
This course offers an introduction to the world of oil painting. It uses carefully structured exercises to gradually develop your capacity for observing the natural. The aim is to train as much your sensitivity to colour as your technical skills.
Those that have never painted will receive instruction about the equipment, paints and mediums. Those with experience will receive instruction tailored to their level to help them improve.
The program will include three fundamental aspects:
- The basics of painting: light and dark
- Observation and mixing of colour
- The language of the paint brush and painting in layers
Together, we will look at the history of oil painting. We will study paintings by many of the timeless masters of the European tradition. Some, like Velasquez, Rembrandt, Goya, Sargent and Manet, will be looked at in more depth, as they were very technical painters, sensitive to light and dark and superior colours, and their way of expressing themselves was very natural.
Bodil and Paulo have been teaching art together since 2007. They are part of an international community of artists and art teachers who study and practice with the South African artists Rose Shakinovsky and Claire Gavronsky (rosenclaire) in Florence, Italy.
They have running courses in observation painting and drawing, as it is a great introduction to the language of art, develops one’s presence of mind, visual and creative thinking. They also work with children, teachers, and young artists. They offer ‘in depth’ teaching, where students explore their real creative capacities, through structured tools and strategies.
Total in private house: 1490 €
Total in a twin room (private house): 990 €
Total in shared accommodation in our residencies: 780 €
* If you bring companions, there is an additional cost of 380€ per adult and 250€ per child (only for accommodation and welcome dinner)
As well as the course, the following are included in the program:
ARTIST WEEK includes 25 hours of instruction and guided work. You will also have free access to the studios to keep working if you so desire. Portuguese and English are spoken on the course.
The price of ARTIST WEEK includes 6 nights of accommodation in Cerdeira, all breakfasts, 5 buffet lunches and a daily snack with fruit, coffee and tea. The welcome dinner and the dinner in Coimbra, as well as the Fado concert, are also included.
It also includes:
– A guided walk in the hills to the neighbouring village of Candal. This was the path that the village children would once have taken to school. In Candal, next to a small pool, we will cool down and try a few regional delicacies as part of our picnic.
– A study visit to the historical part of Coimbra, rich in architectural and cultural points of interest, classified as World Heritage by UNESCO in 2013. We will walk through the narrow streets from the University to the lower part of the city, and sit on the terrace of the historic Cafe Santa Crux, enjoying our coffee and watching the world go by. We will visit the Machado and Castro museums, and then enjoy a delicious dinner in one of the city's historical taverns. At the end of the day we will attend a Fado concert. Fado was also classified as Intangible World Heritage in 2011, and hearing Fado is a great wa of finding out more about Portugal.
The groups are always small!
The basic materials for the course are also included. However, if you already have your preferred products or brands, feel free to bring them with you.